Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pontiac to Normal-Bloomington

In Pontiac I stayed at the Livingston County 4-H Fairground/Campground.


Only a couple of miles from downtown Pontiac.

Pontiac is a fairly good sized town with quite a bit to see. Be sure and stop at the Route 66 Museum (free parking).






Up stairs in the museum, there are a number of 40s-50s displays.









And out back....


A number of these little auto replicas can be found throughout downtown.


And a number of murals are easily found throughout town.





Finally it was time to move on. The first place I came upon was the old Illinois State Police Barracks. Although it hasn't been used since 2003, it is good to see that the building has been kept. They should turn this in to a State Police museum in my opinion.





I was able to spend a good amount of time riding on the Real old Route 66. The bridges were closed off due to safety - I know, it would cost the State a lot of money to make them safe enough to ride a bike or walk on.






Also there were a number of old Quonset huts to be seen along the way.


This is about all there is to Ocyoa.



Coming in to Chenoa, I saw these magnificent horses. Love watching horses and rabbits.



In Chenoa, I was told that this used to be "Steve's Cafe" and was quite popular by the 'criminal element' and politicians that passed through the small town.



Chenoa has re-worked part of the old Route 66 and made it in to a bicycle/pedestrian way.


In Lexington, you get to see "Memory Lane".






South of town, what little remains of a drive in.


And they also have made a couple of miles of the original Route in to a multi-use trail.


After Lexington came Towanda.







It was after dark when I made my way in to Normal-Bloomington. I need to budget my time a bit more while seeing what I want and need to see each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment