Sunday, November 11, 2012

What a crazy idea!




So, how did I come up with the crazy idea of riding Route 66 by bicycle? Well, it really isn't that crazy or unusual. Bicycle touring is a growing area of tourism world wide. And, I've done it, bike touring that is, before.

The Adventure Cycling Association is currently working on mapping out their bicycle touring route, but also working with a number of organizations on the U.S. Bicycle Route System Bike Route 66. The Tulsa City Council just recently passed a resolution supporting USBRS Route 66 - Route 66 is big business.

Route 66 is probably one of the best known and recognized roads in the world. There are regular international tour groups that come just to travel The Mother Road.


I've always been a wandering soul. I have visited more than 20 countries, lived in Italy and Bahrain, and taken a number of bike tours. Simply put I love traveling and seeing what there is to be seen.

But why Route 66? Why not? Okay, there is more to it than that. I grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma a city with over 20 miles of the Route running through it. Two different 'alignments' and a lot of history here. Except, in my youth I had no time or interest in it. Growing up I lived within about a half-mile of the Route the entire time. Sure, I noticed some cool things - but I never really paid any attention.

I walked pasted this old gas station every day going to grade school.


My mother did her grocery shopping here at the old Warehouse Market - only the front facade remains, but at least it was preserved.



Here is the same building back in 'the day' with Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys tour bus out front.








Now that I've grown older and smarter, I can appreciate what we have lost with the demise of Route 66. But also what we still have - and I want to see it all.

My planned start of the tour is in early April - just not on the first. I'm not starting a trip on April Fool's Day. I already have gather hundreds of pages of information and am currently working on mapping the Route out for bicycle. I know, I mentioned Adventure Cycling previously - why not use them? Well, for starters, they don't have their maps out yet - I'm hoping for them to be out prior to my departure, but it may take up to another 2 years. Secondly, and more important to me, is that they will not be focused on the Historic routing or seeing each and every site there is to see.

I hope that you'll join me on this adventure as I learn more about and experience Route 66 and our history.



No comments:

Post a Comment